Documentation of the TRIALOG Central Training 2008 now online!
The Central Training is the annual TRIALOG seminar for NGDO platforms from new EU member states (NMS) and accession/ candidate countries (AC).
This year, the Central Training took place in Brno (Czech Republic) on February 19 and 20, 2008.
More than 60 participants from all 12 NMS and from Macedonia gathered together to exchange expertise and to learn more about Public Awareness Raising, Development Education and Campaigning - the main focus of this year's event.
The event started with country presentations from all participating NMS platforms. This first information sharing session laid the ground for a lot of bilateral talks and further discussions during the training and in the coffee breaks. For the frist time, three Macedonian NGOs participated in the TRIALOG Central Training, the presentation on the situation in Macedonia and its NGO sector was met with particular interest.
Download the country presentations:
- Czech Republic, presented by Jana Krczmarova, Czech NGDO platform FoRS
- Latvia, presented by Janis Kirpitis, GLEN Latvia (see also TRIALOG country study on Development Cooperation in Latvia, January 2008)
- Lithuania, presented by Girvydas Duoblys, Centre for Civic Initiatives (see also TRIALOG country study on Development Cooperation in Lithuania, December 2007)
- Estonia, presented by Anu Eslas, Estonian NGDO platform AKÜ (see also TRIALOG country study on Development Cooperation in Estonia, December 2007)
- Slovak Republic, presented by Zuzana Kratka, Slovak NGDO platform MVRO
- Hungary: Overview and Global Education Working Group, presented by Balazs Frida and Melinda Melis, Hungarian NGDO platform HAND (see also Handouts included in the Conference Folder)
- Poland, presented by Katarzyna Dumanska, Salesian Missionary Voluntary Service Youth for the World
- Slovenia, presented by Marjan Huc and Katja Celin, Slovenian NGDO platform SLOGA (see also Handout included in the Conference Folder)
- Romania, presented by Claudia Iatan, Romanian NGDO platform FOND
- Bulgaria, presented by Donka Kalcheva, BlueLink Information Network, and Dessislava Koleva, Centre for Inclusive Education
- Cyprus, presented by Emete Imge, Cyprus Turkish Diabetes Association
- Malta, presented by Mario Gerada, Maltese NGDO platform SKOP (see also Additional Documents)
- Macedonia, presented by Elizabeta Buova, SIGME 7 - Center for Interdisciplinary Research
A presentation of the GCAP campaign - the Global Call to Action against Poverty - presented by Julien Vaissier, was followed by theoretical input on Public Awareness Raising, Development Education and Campaigning provided by Tobias Troll from DEEEP (Development Education Exchange in Europe Project). An update on the European Consensus on Development was given by the Chair of the CONCORD Development Education Forum and Director of the Finish NGDO platform KEHYS, Rilli Lappalainen.
Download the thematic presentations:
- GCAP, Global Call to Action against Poverty, by Julien Vaissier, GCAP
- Theoretical introduction to "Development Education, Awareness Raising and Campaigning", by Tobias Troll, DEEEP (Development Education Exchange in Europe Project)
- The European Consensus on Development, by Rilli Lappalainen, DEF, Finish NGDO platform KEHYS
- Eurizons, campaign website: www.eurizons.net
- German Campaign against genetic engineering: www.campact.de/gentec/home
- Civicus Campaigning Toolkit for Civil Society Organisations engaged in the Millenium Development Goals (MDGs): www.civicus.org/mdg/title.htm
- MoveOn.org: Democracy in Action: www.moveon.org
- European Consensus on Development: the contribution of Development Education & Awareness Raising
- CONCORD: Code of Conduct on Images and Messages 2006
- CONCORD Development Education Forum Position Paper: Working to achieve the Millenium Development Goals through greater European public engagement in the fight against global poverty (October 2007)
In 4 working groups, the participants had the opportunity to discuss campaigning topics and to eleborate possible development education campaigns.
Presentations used by Julien Vaissier, GCAP in his workshop:
Also on the agenda was a presentation by Nathalie Ewing about the most important news from the European NGO confederation for Relief and Development CONCORD and the priorities for 2008.
Last but not least, Nicoletta Pusterla and Martine van Wassenhove from EuropeAid informed the audience about development education and awareness raising activities supported by the European Commission (EC). They presented the statistical results of the Calls for Proposals in 2006 and 2007 as well as the challenges related to the 2008 call.
Download the presentations of CONCORD and EuropeAid:
- The most important news and the CONCORD priorities for 2008, by Nathalie Ewing, CONCORD.
- The Call for Proposals 2006 and 2007 on Development Education/Awareness Raising: the perspective of the EC and challenges ahead for 2008 in view of the preparation of the Annual Action Programme, by Nicoletta Pusterla and Martine van Wassenhove, EuropeAid - Sector "Non State Actors and Local Authoriries"
- CONCORD Aid Watch position, January 2008
- CONCORD Contribution to the “EU Aid Effectiveness Roadmap to Accra & Beyond”
- CONCORD Publications guide
- CONCORD Advocacy Tools Guide
The accompanying programme gave participants the possiblity to watch some short development education films, to look at development education material from various countries and campaigns and/or to visit the Brno Fair Trade Shop.
The Central Training was two days full of deepening knowledge on the training topics, improving campaigning skills and using the many possibilities for networking.
View photos from the event!